To enhance the quality of life in Wood Buffalo by ensuring every KID can afford to have fun.
To provide financial assistance to support Wood Buffalo youth and families that face barriers to participation in sport, recreation, social and cultural programs and activities.
About WB Kids
The WB Kids program aspires to provide barrier-free participation to the sport, recreation, social and cultural programs and activities in the Wood Buffalo region. The program offers two streams of support via WB Kids and WB Kids All-Stars.
WB Kids Eligibility and Application Process
Parents, teachers, coaches, and community members can nominate youth to receive program, activity and/or equipment funding. Examples include but are not limited to:
- The development program, sport and/or class registration fees
- Facility memberships to amenities based throughout the communities of the region, including the Suncor Community Leisure Centre, Miskanaw Golf Club, Anzac Recreation Centre presented by Nexen Energy, the Fort McMurray Oil Sands Curling Club, Noralta Skating Club, and Syncrude Sport and Wellness Centre and YMCA of Wood Buffalo, in addition to other facilities
- Sporting and/or activity equipment
- Any need approved by the WB Kids committee that is deemed in the interest of Kids having fun
How to Apply
Please note that applications for WB Kids and WB Kids All Stars are currently on hold
Please print and fill out a WB Kids Program application form or complete the online form below. Application forms can also be obtained upon request in person at Suncor Community Leisure Centre Guest Services. Please note that at the time of submission the nominee must be 17 years of age or younger.
All application forms require:
- Endorser information: Name, phone number, e-mail address and relationship to nominee; supporting paragraph
- Nominee information: Name, age, mailing address, parent/guardian name(s) and occupation(s), specific request for funding and need for said funding. Third party nominations are encouraged. Please include any letters or supporting documentation.
- Applications can also be submitted in person at Suncor Community Leisure Centre Guest Services to the attention of WB Kids Committee: Director of Applications
WB Kids All-Stars Program
Now Accepting Applications - Apply now
About WB Kids All-Stars
Developed as an extension of the WB Kids Program, this demand-driven initiative provides financial assistance to kids in elite programming who are seeking financial support to continue developing their skills. Understanding that there are increased financial pressures associated with preparing for and participating in elite level sport, the WB Kids All-Stars Program believes that athletes should be able to focus on their practice and not be limited by financial demands.
The purpose of the program is to help Wood Buffalo athletes continue their pursuit of athletic excellence at competitive levels. We do this by providing funding to young athletes whose families may face financial barriers.
Athletes who apply for the WB Kids All-Stars Program must:
- be actively competing in provincial, national and/or international sports; OR be participating in a year-round competitive, training program;
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- be 17 years of age or younger;
- submit a quality, completed application form before the deadline.
All-Star Program funding will be granted to the applicants that best demonstrate a passion for the sport they are competing in, dedication to their academics, commitment to their community and prove to be facing financial need through an endorser’s recommendation. Applications are approved at the sole discretion of the WB Kids Committee and subject to eligibility requirements. Please ensure applications are legible and all information is accurate and completed in full.
All submissions must include:
- A letter of support from a coach explaining the trajectory of the athlete’s participation in the sport.
- A letter of support from a teacher that demonstrates their academic commitment.
- A completed All-Stars Program application with an endorsement that outlines the financial barriers currently being faced.
Funding under the WB Kids All-Stars program does not cover recreational team sports, introductory classes, volunteer levies, equipment, leisure programs, skill-building classes, development/training programs, etc. For inquiries of this nature, applicants are asked to complete the traditional WB Kids application for funding consideration.
All-Stars Program funding will annually award a total of three (3) recipients with funding in the following amounts:
Funding for approved applications will be submitted to the sport/recreation/cultural association directly. Parents/Guardians will receive an email confirming the application status.
- Provide confidential and timely assistance to youth and families
- Maximize accessibility to program assistance across the region
- Ensure the financial sustainability of the WB Kids program via fundraising efforts and accountability
- Recruit and retain partners that share a similar vision
- Five percent (5%) of all eligible Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo facility partnerships
- All net proceeds from the sale of the WB Kids merchandise
- Individual, corporate and organizational donations
Proud supporters of WB Kids Merchandise