Fort Chipewyan, established as a trading post by the Northwest Trading Company in 1788, is the oldest settlement in Alberta. The community serves as the gateway to the entrance of Wood Buffalo National Park, as well as being home to over 1,200 residents of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.
In 2009, the Archie Simpson Arena, a recreation centre consisting of an ice rink, fitness centre, boardroom, youth centre, and indoor playground, opened to the community. The facility was quickly embraced by the community, and the response led to a new series of engagement sessions focused on the development of an aquatic centre.
Following these community engagement sessions, a design and construction plan was developed and approved that will see an Aquatic Centre addition take place beside the existing Archie Simpson Arena. The facility includes a 25 metre pool, waterpark, waterslide, hot tub and sauna.
Hours of Operation
Parent and Tot Swim
- For adults 18 years and over with children 5 years and under
- Children must be within arm’s reach of adult at all times
- Maximum of three children per adult
- Adult must be in the water with children
- Open to children and youth with a parent or caregiver 16 years or older
- Children 7 years and under must be within arm’s reach of parent or caregiver
- If children are 7 years and under, a maximum of 3 children per parent or caregiver is allowed
- Open to all ages and all regular safety and facility rules apply